Recently my fridge has been constantly building up with cucumbers. We have two gardens right now, one at home and a plot at the community gardens. My husband always goes on and on about how much he loves pickles and cuc's. Being the loving wife I am... I planted ten cucumber plants. He doesn't love them as much anymore.

I've already canned a few batches of pickles that are sitting in the pantry until January (hopefully he will like them again by then) but its hot out, I don't want to play with the waterbath today and I have a fridge full of cucumbers. What to do? Freezer pickles!

The great thing about freezer pickles is that you don't have to be as precise, you can go with the flow a little  more and play with the recipe because it doesn't  need processing. You also don't have to use a mason jar, you can use Tupperware or anything else that you would usually freeze in.

I'm going to post the recipe I used however, changed it up, swap things out, make it your own. Google freezer pickle recipes and see what different things you come up with that suits your taste.

2lbs Pickling Cucumbers thinly sliced
2 onions thinly sliced
1 red pepper diced
3 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablspoon of celery seed
1 tablespoon of dried dill weed

Put your cucumbers, onion, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the salt in a large bowl. Cover it with some crushed ice and mix it really well. Stick it in the fridge for 8 hours.

Rinse your cucumbers really well.

In a sauce pan combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seed, dill and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring it to a boil and let it cool a little. Put your cucumber mixture in desired containers and poor liquid over the top.

Put pickles in the freezer! You can let them thaw at room temperature or in the fridge. I'm interested to see if they keep their crunch but I've  heard good things and I'm sick of my fridge being full of these little green monsters.

0 comments:

Share Me


About Me

CANNED 2011

Raspberry Chipolte BBQ

Cherry Chipolte BBQ

Peaches

Spiced Peaches

Pickles

Blueberry Preserves

Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Cherry Pie Filling

Boozy Cherries

Zucchini Pineapple

Green Beans

Tomatoes

Followers