On Saturday afternoon I spent my day climbing up cherry trees like a monkey at an Orchard nearby. After picking 7lbs of cherries, yes SEVEN lbs! I came home and got some things together to make cherry pie filling in cans. I wanted to can the filling, rather than freeze because it lasts longer that way and I like to leave some room in my freezer for when things go on sale. The following recipie is for a 1 quart jar, I just tripled it so I had enough for three jars, with the left overs I made boozey drunk cherries to put in cocktails when I feel the need.



Cherry Pie Filling (from CanningUSA.com)



5 Cups of pitted cherries (for the love of your sanity, buy a cherry pitter)
Nutmeg - about a 1/4 teaspoon, I just threw it in there
Cinnamon - about 1/4 teaspoon
1/4 Cup Water
3/4 Cup sugar
3 Tablespoons of Clear Gel. (I may have used cornstarch instead but you're really not supposed to)
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice

Work out how much you need of each for the amount of pie filling your making, as I stated earlier, I made three quarts so just timed everything by three.

Clean and pit your cherries, Child labor comes in REAL handy here.

Combine your water, spices sugar, lemon juice and clear gel (or cornstarch if your naughty) in a large heavy pan. Bring to a boil stirring continuously to avoid lumping of the Clear Gel.

Add your cherries, bring up to a simmer for about five minutes, stirring continuously. This should get pretty thick, like canned cherry pie filling but with actual cherries in it!

I used the water bath canning method for this and processed them for 30 minutes. I'm going to make a post about water bath canning very shortly! Until then, do a google search and you can find out lots of instructions.



Excuse the baking sheet, I use it specifically for pouring into my canning jars, if you think its REALLY disgusting feel free to buy me another ;)

Drunk, Boozey, Alcoholic Cherries.

1/4 Cup Water

1/4 Sugar
1 Cup Brandy

Place leftover pitted cherries in a mason jar. Mix the water and sugar on the stove and heart to get syrupy but not caramel, its a good idea to mix the entire time your doing this. Take off the heat and mix in your brandy. Pour over pitted Cherries and stick in the fridge. Wait at least a month and then get drunk on fruit. Alternatively you could just put one in a cocktail (if you're civilized, unlike me)

0 comments:

Share Me


About Me

CANNED 2011

Raspberry Chipolte BBQ

Cherry Chipolte BBQ

Peaches

Spiced Peaches

Pickles

Blueberry Preserves

Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Cherry Pie Filling

Boozy Cherries

Zucchini Pineapple

Green Beans

Tomatoes

Followers